An all-embracing sports club, community and health facility, driven, owned and managed by its members, catering for the different needs relevant to the diverse communities in Leyton and Leytonstone.
SCORE is based opposite Leyton Orient Football Club and is a partnership between Leyton Orient Trust and the London Borough of Waltham Forest. It has three aims:
· To physically improve old and run down sports and recreational facilities and replace them with state of the art community facilities that would act as a one stop shop for a number of services.
· To establish programmes and services that would encourage the local community to take part in a range of activities that would include health promotion, advice and support, employment training, childcare support and physical activity and sport from a recreational to a competitive level.
· To develop and train up the skills of local residents and offer them opportunities in all of the partnerships. (on the sports side coaches, officers and administrators to sustain the sports club approach.
Leyton Orient Trust have been at the forefront of the development of the project since devising the concept back in July 1999 and have continued in our leading role by pulling together and securing the majority of capital funding (£7.75 million) and since SCORE opened in May 2005 have pioneered usage, take up and have also, on behalf of the project, managed the sports operation enabling it to over-achieve on the usage, breadth of activity and income generated.
Since 2005 we have delivered an extensive range of activities including Football, Basketball, Futsal, Netball, Volleyball, Handball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Karate, Aerobics, Boxercise, Tapeball Cricket, Indoor Athletics, Yoga, NFL Flag Football, Street Dance, Cheerleading and Ballet amongst many other activities.
Creating Networks – Building in Sustainability
As well as directly delivering these sporting activities, we have also developed a strong network of 30 partners and like minded agencies which now base their activities at SCORE.
We have always aimed high and have attracted a good mix of activity with local, national and international partners.
We have also forged strong partnerships with the local Muslim community amongst others in particular a local Mosque which uses the facility for its sporting and cultural activities.
Through our wider work we have used the facility to launch local, regional and national campaigns including Waltham Forest’s One Community campaign, Football League Community Cup Regional Schools Finals and the National School Sports Week
Through our networks we have welcomed visits from Tony Blair, The Duchess of Cornwall, Ken Livingstone, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and a number of Olympic athletes including Denise Lewis, Tessa Sanderson, Sally Gunnell, Jonathon Edwards and Sebastian Coe. We have also used our media contacts to use SCORE as a backdrop for news pieces and filming/TV/advert locations. There is a buzz and spirit that this vast network and combination of programmed activity and events create which has made the facility so special and given a positive boost to Leyton and the Borough.
It has also led to a number of visits arranged from community agencies, local authorities and Government agencies interested in developing similar community facilities.
Facilities available for hire
- A full size 3g floodlit football pitch for 11 a side and 7 a side football
- Outdoor volleyball courts
- Urban Beach
- Five indoor sports hall marked out for futsal, basketball, tennis, netball, badminton, handball and volleyball
- Two hard basketball courts which are both floodlit
- Two indoor community rooms (available for functions)
To make a booking or for further information, please call 020 8556 5973